Monday, April 6, 2009

Fifteen Years, Seven Months, Twelve Weeks and Two Days Since the Sky Fell

And stretch I did...though that was the smallest of events.

Bored and restless now that the pain was gone, I pulled on my chainmail and headed out to wander. Out of habit, I ended up in the Thundering Steppes, as I lived there for so long as a child; originally I had started heading for Coldwind Point, but I didn't want to disturb Tarack if he was there, nor did I wish to have all those memories crying for...something.

For quite some time, I was able to just wander the shores near the docks, collecting fish and the like from the waters. The work moved my unused muscles just enough to stretch them, but not enough to hurt them and it was almost comforting to hear the clicking of the crabs over the gentle song of the ocean.

Sadly, I began to recall dancing on these shores with the Marhime, when we were very young. The secrets, the magick, and everything just kind of hit me...and I found myself looking up at the shattered moon.

My inner calm disturbed, I could feel that same downward pull, the simmering Hatred beginning to inflame again. If the Rallosians had not attacked the Nexus, perhaps then the moon would still be whole, and everything would be different - perhaps Kelshinth would still be one of the familia.

In the corner of my eye, I saw the crisp white of a gi, and realized that if these things had not happened, I may have never met Tarack and he might have died an old and distraught man...alone.

Almost thankfully, there was an interruption to my thoughts...almost thankfully...

There was a man watching me. Though he appeared to be a High Elf, something about him didn't strike me as elven. After a few minutes, he introduced himself as Xhane, and asked if I would care to aid him with the study - and more than likely slaughter - of a few gnolls.

He was able to muster a few more people for the task, and while I did wish to fight, I knew I wasn't exactly up to that much just yet. I asked instead if I could just enhance our little band of fellow's with song, occasionally spiking the enemy with a discordant moment and it was agreed that such would be fine.

We battled for some time at the camps of the gnolls, however eventually we moved on to destroy the animated scarecrows that were attacking passers-by. I promised to take care of them for Celestial Watch, and collect whatever I could of their remains, so I was not adverse to fighting them.

At some point, a Teir`Dal woman wished to aid us against the constructs, and I invited her to join us. She didn't strike me as particularly vile, and something about her presence was strangely comforting; I've never really interacted with many Teir, aside from Tarack...and those beasts in the forest...so I don't think it was because she reminded me of anyone. I've theories on it now, but I'm still not quite sure why I demanded she be allowed to aid us.

The Kerra was rather indifferent about the whole matter, stating she cared not if the woman did not serve the Overlord or any of the other forces that sought to destroy Qeynos - this Teir didn't, of course. The knight was too busy fawning over her beauty to really give much imput on the matter, which is rather dishearting considering his supposed path in life.

Xhane, on the other hand...is lucky I didn't remove my gloves, reach up to him, put my hand through his chest, grasp his heart, pull it out and feed it to him as his life drained away to the ground.

"A dark elf? We really must discuss your taste in companions, Rhana!" he had said.

Instantly, I saw Tarack, standing silently as faces leered at him while making horrible comments...saw him stand there and take their insults and Hatred without a word...watched his eyes drop to the ground as his shoulders drooped in disappointment and frustration...

...it was Tarack standing in front of Xhane, not the mage.

Words cannot describe what occurred in my mind and with my body then, though I think I may be able to do it at least some justice here.

That simmering Hate just lept up - there was no boiling to an explosion this time, it just suddenly engulfed my mind. The world swam, and I saw red before my eyes, which is when I found I had the undenyable urge to slaughter Xhane with my bare hands. My body tingled, burning with that unquenchable anger, my entire being suddenly engulfed by the essence I'd found within Nektulos. I could feel the muscles just ripple with Hatred, and I think I lifted my hands up to clench my fists as I stared at him.

Xhane's expression was one of shock and horror. His mouth was open in surprise, and I wasn't quite sure why until I saw myself in his eyes...or, saw what was standing where I should be.

She...I...had pale indigo skin, almost iridescent indigo over alabaster, really; my hair was a more...natural colour red, with strange blue orbs dancing in it. My facial features were changed, sharper and more defined, etched with the Hate I had felt burn away only inside...til now.

Forcing myself to remain calm, I shrugged and turned their attention back to the constructs that were inching closer to our position. I could still feel that burning essence coursing through me, and became restless just sitting back with my songs. Eventually, I joined in the fight, the motions of battle slowly taking the edge off the dark feelings I had...

Needless to say, I hurt quite a bit once the adrenaline had been used, and I was left to quietly sit on the dock after everyone had gone their seperate ways. I could not return to Qeynos looking as I did, let alone return home in such a state - Tarack had enough to worry over, I did not need to contribute to that any more than I already did.

I spent the night sleeping in a pile of hay, tucked under my bedroll, in the barns of Thundermist Village. When I awoke, things had not changed, and so I made my way back here...sneaking into my own home.

Thank the Gods Tar was not about. After being within the calm and happiness of our home, the darkness seems to have faded away again, and now when I look into the mirror, I see myself and not someone I don't know...

...well, to a point...

Dinner...yes, cooking would be good for me right now. And it will surprise Tar, make him happy with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment